Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Scrooge

Or maybe overprotective?

My boys are growing up fast. TOO fast. I don't like it. I wish I could keep them 4 years and 4 months for a little while longer. Who knows how many kiddos I will get to have? So what's a mama to do?

I think there are appropriate ages for most activities. There are the obvious ones like no driving or having a job until 16. And those that are a little more subjective, you know, shaving legs and mascara wait until you're 12. Granted I won't need to worry about those. I will be facing the issue of forcing them to bathe and use deodorant. But the issue of the moment is... wait for it.... sleepovers.

Sleepovers? Really? Isn't it a little early to be having this conversation?

Maybe it's those darn growth hormones, they're speeding everything up. OK, maybe not. But I'll say it again. REALLY?

I will also restate this: HE IS FOUR!

Are the caps too much? I'm feeling slightly passionate. Unfortunately, it often comes off as just mad. I'll stop. REALLY! :D

Back to the problem at hand.

He's four. Four and four months. Not like four and eleven months, or I don't know.... ten. Now, I am not sure that ten is the magically appropriate age for sleepovers, but it seems a little better than four. Obviously, I feel the need to keep him safe. I don't think that a four year old is capable of this on pretty much any level in my absence or maybe even in my presence. He enjoys such past times as licking all manner of germ infested things, leaning against precarious furniture, poking others in the eye, etc etc etc.

The world is a very different place than it was twenty years ago. I don't think we need to go into such things, but do think they need to be considered. And until we can have conversations to address these numerous unnamed issues to create understanding, it's just not happening. So if that qualifies me as a Scrooge or overprotective, then I am ok with that label.

So are you as Scrooge-like as I am? Feel the need to rebuke me? Maybe slap me into reality? Click and let me know what you think.

Happy parenting!

4 comments:

  1. I think he is way too young. I allowed Kafra to have sleepovers in first grade. We lived in a very tight knit neighborhood and I knew the parents VERY well. I think waiting until he is older is wise, and if you have a bad feeling about it, just say no! Happy Parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pfft, you know my stance on this. There will be no sleepovers for my kids. I don't care how well you think you know another family you don't. And even if the parents are awesome there is no telling what the kids will expose your child to at 2am. And even if I did think they were ok, four is waaaaaaay too young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not overprotective. Rational. Honestly, I agree--four is about a decade too young for sleepovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't reached the point of having a four-year-old but it does seem young to me except maybe if it was at a cousin's or of course grandma's. I'm not sure how much a four-year-old would even enjoy it. It seems like daytime playing is all the fun they need for now. I'll get back to you in three years if I change my mind.

    ReplyDelete