Monday, March 28, 2011

Can You Spell that Please?

So, it's no secret that my last name is a little unusual and can be a bit difficult to spell. Heck, I didn't even realize the correct spelling until Scott and I headed to Sherry Swenson's office. That should be a prerequisite for marriage. But the misspellings abound. Here are just a few:

Garring
Garing
Gerring
Gerhing (Most common and how I spelled it for a year of dating.)
Gerrying
Herring
Geuirring (My favorite and most recent.)
Gary
Garhing
Gearing

I have a friend that I babysit for and she writes Nicole G or just Nicole on the check. I can't complain. I have a friend that I write as M*scribblescribble* when in reality it's Mugleston. (And yes, I had to look that up.)

When businesses ask for my last name, I don't even say it, I just immediately spell it. The conversation usually goes something like this...

Them: Name?
Me: G E H R I N G
Them: G E R R I N G?
Me: G E H R I N G
Them: Oh, G E R I N G
Me: No, there's an H in there. (a little louder and staccato)
G E H! R I N G
Them: Sorry, I got it. G H E R I N G
Me: No. (still a little louder)G E H!! R I N G
Them: I'm sorry what?
Me: G-E-H-R-I-N-G
Them: G E H R I N G
Me: Yes, that's right. I get it all the time.

The doctor's office is always fun...

Them: Who are we seeing today?
Me: Hunter Gehring
(long pause)
Them: I'm sorry, I don't see Hunter Gary on here.
Me: No, Gehring. G E H R I N G
Them: G E?
Me: G E H R I N G
Them: Oh, there it is. (With no attempt to try and pronounce it.)

Oh, on a side note, on our paperwork, they have my last name correct, but not Scott's. I have given up on getting them to fix it. Our mail always comes to the right place.

I have to say though, I don't think that any of us actually pronounce it correctly. Obviously, it's German and I think it is pronounced Gear-ing. We all say it more like Gar-ing. My in-laws never give their name when going out to eat. It made me laugh the first time.

Host: Name?
Father-in-law: Miller
Me: What?

I learn quickly. Although, I just say Scott. Which by the way has two T's, not one. And my name does not have an H. And Stevens is spelled with a V, not a PH. But I digress.

I have also learned that you don't have to have a strange name to have these kinds of issues. My aunt's married name is Hill. She tells funny stories of having to spell and pronounce it repeatedly.

I have to say that the funniest story came from a coworker/friend from Provo. The complex we lived in put the tenants name in a small display directly above the doorbell. Mind you, I had worked with her for some time and she had seen my name many times even if she didn't know how to pronounce it. The first time she came over, she didn't even get out a "Hi" before this happened:

Jules: What is that over your doorbell?
Me: (very confused) My last name?
Jules: Oh, I thought it was directions.
Me: What? (confusion mounting)
Jules: Yeah, it's by the doorbell. You know, gerrring! gerrring!
Me: Like the sound of it ringing?
Jules: (Now feeling very dumb and sheepish) Yeah.

My friend Michele M*scribblescribble* and I laughed harder than I thought possible. I don't think Jules appreciated it. We weren't the best of friends after that.

As a kid I always wanted a more interesting name than Stevens. I guess I got it.

Sigh.



2 comments:

  1. Jules should have known that that was just funny! I love it, I'm still chuckling. My favorite of your names is Gary. People probably just want it to be simple so they make it that way. I understand going to a more difficult name. I used to just have to clarify "with a 'v'". Now I default to spelling. Otherwise I'm Partner or Parchner or Harchner or even Hardner. Yeah, he should have taken my name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! :) Very cute post. (And I think I spelled your last name Gerhing for some time, sorry!) I had a similar experience on the phone the other day. The attendant tried to spell Stevens with an A. Um, hello?

    ReplyDelete