Sunday, September 6, 2009

Remembering

Recently our Grandma Barrett put together a book of memories. It contains the funnest stories, most of which I had never heard. I've really enjoyed seeing her unique sense of humor through her writing, but also learning about Grandpa Barrett. Unfortunately, by the time I came to know and love him, there was little ability and time for me to understand how truly great a man he is. I often think the same of Scott and my Grandpa Rogers. Luckily through much effort put into documentation of their lives, we can begin to connect with them.

I feel it is my responsibility to do so. Much of my genealogy has already been done. Short of traveling to do hands on research, there is minimal work I can do. I am not equipped to do this at my present point in life. However I feel very often we overlook the other aspects of genealogy. Names and dates are the basics, but much more lies in their stories of inspiration and guidance. I must do my best to encourage and help those before me to compile these moments as well as my own so they may live on.

This was continually brought to my remembrance through our travels this week. A simple trip to Hill Air force Base came to mean so much more to me. For Hunter it was a chance to see 'big copfters' and 'big airpain'. As he ran around with more excitement than I've ever seen, I was abundantly reminded of how much I wanted to teach him of our family history. Specifically how his Grandpas served for him.



Hope you can see us down there. I felt a little put in my place.


Although daunting to me, he didn't miss a beat. I don't think he was intimidated at all.

This is a B-17. Grandpa Barrett flew 35 missions in one of these. He served as top turret gunner and engineer. He was so blessed because he was tall enough to reach from a standing position.
As our outing continued, I realized simply running through a fountain was adding a page to our own genealogy. By connecting as a family, we are cementing our connection to all our loved ones.


I don't think both feet touched the ground most of the day.


Bubba was very proud of his bravery.





The results of our day couldn't look more fulfilling.


My sweetest view of the entire day.
I couldn't think of a better way to spend my anniversary than to celebrate our family.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like such a wonderful day! Great photos, great memories.

    ReplyDelete