Friday, September 11, 2009

I Will Remember

Just yesterday, I had a conversation that made me choke. For weeks now, we've all been thinking of the upcoming anniversary of our saddest and I think one of our proudest days in our nation's history. We all remember where we were during those first moments of the attack on our people.

I had just arrived at school, a senior, when a good friend told me of what she saw on the television. I didn't believe her. I said it was probably a prank. Fortunately, I had first period seminary. There was no better place to be. We had a spiritual guide to help us through the moments we watched the towers fall. We were angered. We tried to hide. We cried. We prayed. We mourned. Since then those minutes that seemed like an eternity have been carefully locked up tight in my heart. Each one of us has our own personal experience and I hold mine very close to me where no one can reach it.

So when I heard these words, I was horrified, stunned. 'I'm tired of hearing about it. It just needs to be in our history books for our kids to learn about like Pearl Harbor. I wish it would just go away. It's over.'

Over? Really? Let's ask those who are personally affected by this tragedy, whether through survival or lost loved ones. Who are constantly reminded by the absence in their hearts, homes, beds. Or for that matter, anyone who feels a morsel of nationalism or are currently serving to keep us safe, giving their own lives so I might keep mine. Or even further, those throughout the world who feel compassion for all those around them.

Over? Have we come to a point where the amount of love and heartache we feel is determined by time? Is the quota filled?

I'm not tired of hearing about it. Sure there are those who wish to sensationalize. Intentionally tugging at our heart strings for personal gain. But I will never tire of hearing how our country pulled together, united. That day was a wake up call, that our land is not immune from the tyranny of the world. And in the face of that, we can stand as one and prove what we are capable of. I will not tire of hearing stories of inspiration. How people have found hope on the other side and became stronger and closer together because of it.

So maybe there will always be those who want to ignore the perils of our world, to forget and discard them. I hope there will always be a few of us that will hold the sacredness of this day and others like it with the highest respect.

To all of us who were forever changed by these events, I will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment