Thursday, February 10, 2011

Learning to Walk

Okay, I need to talk. Or some advice. Or encouragement. Or maybe just to vent.

My bubba now needs glasses. I always thought he would, he comes from two very blind families. I just never thought it would be this soon, I mean he's only four. Barely. Scott and I didn't enter the world of becoming legally blind until twelve and ten. The upside is he looks adorable in them. Glasses are much more flattering these days. No tortoise shell pop bottle glasses that are so large that they may chip a tooth if you're not careful. And he really seems excited about them. See?
Well, mostly. We worked really hard at getting him pumped up, and it worked...until he actually tried to function with them. I had no idea how bad his vision is. He is almost as blind as I am in one eye. It took me nearly twenty years to get that blind.

Sigh.

I know that I can't function without my lenses and what's worse is he only has that vision in one eye. The other is a minor correction. I can only imagine his lack of depth perception.

The new problem is he is relearning to do everything. It is breaking my heart to watch him attempt to walk. He is petrified. Holding my hand so tight I think I have bruises. He took them off in the office and said, "That's better." He begged me to carry him to the car. As I sit here, I am watching him get down on his hands and knees to crawl.

Tear.

I don't know how to help him. I keep telling myself that kids are resilient, he'll adjust. I have to encourage him to do things like normal. I remember when he learned to walk the first time, that it was a game for him. It's how he played. I guess we'll be applying the same things here. Maybe I'll learn to walk along with him.

3 comments:

  1. This brings a tear to my eye. I hate to see my little guy sad and so unsure of things just yesterday he had mastered. Yes kids are resilient and he will absolutely master these new challenges as well. He is one amazing kid and he has many people in his life who love him dearly. You know I am fighting for the top on that list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks so adorable! You're right, hunny. Kids are very resilient, and he's a smart little cookie. With you by his side, I'm sure things will return to "normal" very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that just makes me so sad! I would never have thought that it would become a challenge. It's supposed to make things better, and it will. Give him loves from us! Hang in there, even though I am sure it is so hard.

    ReplyDelete