Monday, January 2, 2012

Peanut Butter Bars...aka Heaven

Hello there! So there was this one time, that I had everyone I know under my total control. How did I do this? With my magical...Peanut Butter Bars! Actually, they aren't under my control, it's just how I get invited to parties. ;) When I'm invited, they are also invited. After each gathering, I get multiple requests for the recipe. So I figured it was time to share it with the world. You will die when you see how easy they are.

I got the original recipe from a cookbook given to me by my mother-in-law. It was one complied by her work. I love the title, "Miracle of Cooking." Which I guess is fitting considering her work is the surgical unit at the American Fork Hospital. Anyhoo, thanks Teresa Risher for contributing your recipe. I like that all the ingredients are things I have on hand. I did make a few changes to it. I mean, I don't have a jelly roll pan, so I changed the pan size which required changing the cooking time and the likes. I also doubled the frosting. mmmm.... So here is the recipe as I make them:

3/4 cup margarine, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup peanut butter (separated into 3/4 cups)
1 T vanilla
1/3 t salt
3/4 t baking soda
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup quick cooking oats

Cream margarine and sugars. Add eggs, 3/4 cup peanut butter and vanilla. Mix in dry ingredients. Spread in greased 13x9 pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. It will be light brown on top and slightly pulled away from the sides of the pan. While still warm, spread with remaining 3/4 peanut butter.

When cool, frost with:
4 cup powdered sugar
4T cocoa powder
1 1/2 t vanilla
Milk for consistency (I like a consistency that will be stiff and slightly grainy looking, but do what you like.) Add just a few teaspoons at a time, it can easily be too much, quickly.

Happy baking!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I definitely need to give these a try. They were yummy!

    ReplyDelete